Shadowlands
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It’s England in the early 1900s, and very pentacle of human innovation and the dawning of a new technological revolution, but with it, came something else.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brand new day

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Having changed and and bandaged himself back up, he makes his way downstairs, and pulls up a stool beside the bar. But before ordering he takes a moment to turn in his seat and study the current clientele. It's easy for him to detect those who were natives, for they all seemed to see the real him and not his glamour, and most of whom would nod, or raise their drinks to him. He was curious about why people who lived here seemed more acceptable of weird and the strange, able to see past the veil. But then again, he shrugs, considering the Inn's history and that of the town, it was easy to see how such legends and stories told and retold, would have a lasting affect. Perhaps it was the people knowing how big the world really is it and that is the cause of the parting of the veil.

Back to top Go down
https://shadowlands.forumotion.org
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 7:24 pm

Coming out of the kitchen she spots Shard at the bar and debates between being relieved that he is well enough where he is capable of taking part in the waking world or being irritated that he is not still resting. Figuring he is old enough to make his own damn decisions she settles on relieved.

Placing the sward on the bar-top in front of him she grabs herself a stool. "Nice to see you're still alive. Let me know if you need any more bandaging." Nodding to the regulars she drinks a sip of water from the glass Diana the daytime server places by her.

"By any chance have you seen my wayward mage? It's her day off but I want to discuss getting the wall a bit more fortified to her. Would rather last night doesn't happen again."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Turning to nod and smile warmly at the Inn Keep, and again at his sword, which he quickly removes from the and and shoved into the hidden thigh/leg scabbard.

"nice to see you as well, and thank you for the offer, but you'd be pleased to know I managed to bathe and change the bandages myself. My people heal fast, but it will still take a a few more days for me to fully recover." " he explains, adding, "And you're looking very lovely this morning, reminding me that there is still beauty to be seen in the world."

And leaning in towards her question, he shakes his head, "I have not seen her, but if I were a gambling man...Which I am mind you, I would wager the lass may be hungover still from the night before." Thinking of the mirror, he also wagers she could very well have stayed up late studying the wretched thing. He had grown to loath the mirror for the numerous time it had pulled him into other worlds.
Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Entertained she chuckles. “I suddenly have a strong feeling that in the not too distant future I will be dealing with my serving girls bickering over you. Do try not to break their hearts. Good employment is hard to find.”

Trying to picture Hetty hungover she figures the girl would probably not be any grumpier than she typically is in the morning from what Anna has seen. Figuring she’ll make an appearance when she’s ready to Anna lets it go, but not before she’s had a little fun. “I bet you ten gold she’s not even in the building.”
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 6:20 pm

His grin broadens at the statement as he laughs softly, "You needn't worry unnecessary so, I'm not in the habits of breaking hearts, and when I do I make sure she knows of the positive impact she had in my life along with a token, a true gift from my heart, either it be a painting by my own hand, a poem, or a unique flower of immense beauty, which I can grow and name after them." Then with a shrug he grins, "Although sometimes there are no words or sentiments that could describe some beauties."

Then giving her a mischievously sidelong glance, he nods, "Alright, you're on."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Hetty walks through the front door of the inn, which swings open a bit more easily than she expected generating a curse from a patron who was very nearly blindsided. Her eyes wide she apologizes profusely. Already slightly winded from her brisk walk back, her words come out faster than her brain has time to process what she wants to say.

Slightly terrified by this crazy woman speaking at him, the man she nearly bludgeoned with the door smiles and nods giving her a quick "yes, yes, don't worry about it" before promptly leaving to go about his own business.
Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Watching this transpire, Anna Maria watches with cool amusement, though internally she is sighing. She holds her hand out, palm up, to receive her winnings.
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 11:11 pm

without any hesitation, Shard reaches into his inside breast pocket and nonchalantly deposits the gold into Anna's hand.

"You women and your feminine ways, I swear it's like you can sense each other."
Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 9:47 am

With a sly smile she folds her fingers around the coins. “Something like that.”

Catching Hetty’s eye, Anna motions the girl to join them. Figuring it is probably best for Shard to be part of the discussion of the Inn’s security at this point, now is as good a time as any to see what can be done about the wall surrounding the property.
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 9:50 am

Seeing the innkeeper’s wave she readjusts her grip on the bag of books and makes her way around the bar to where Miss. Barton and Shard are seated.

“Is it common for people to be mauled in the streets here? I was just shopping and couldn’t help but overhear these women chattering on about two people that were just ripped to shreds in an ally! Apparently something ate them to the point where they aren’t even identifiable. It’s no wonder you hired me if disturbing acts like this happen often.”

Her tone is frazzled and still a touch nervous but not necessarily afraid. Having grown up in a more sheltered environment where interactions outside of polite society were limited, just leaving the inn alone is a bit of an adventure for her. To have the experience tainted by such a violent story makes her wary of further excursions.
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Shard straightens at Hetty's account of news around town, "Two men you say? Close to the Inn?" Shard asks, giving Anna a quick knowing glance.
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 4:52 pm

“From what I overheard there wasn’t much left to determine the gender of both of them. There was a man’s hand that appeared untouched which would be kind of strange considering everything else was eaten,” she muses. Seeing the look Shard gives Anna Maria she glances between the two.

“They were in an alley in town so not too close to the inn but really anywhere in walking distance is a bit too close for my comfort. Is there something I should know? I have the feeling I’m missing something I should know.”
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 5:02 pm

"I believe I've had a run in with those men last night, they were harassing some young lass, in trampy shoes, heels do you believe it? At that time of night, the girl didn't even give me a thank you when I rescued her from her attackers...." He pauses for a moment considering the night in question, "She may have been somewhat shocked that I killed the man who tried to shoot me, but I spared the life of the other, he was still breathing when I left him and I made sure he'd survive until someone found him...But he was...more or less whole."

Leaning forward he looks sidelong at Anna, "You think...creature could have been trailing me that long and took advantage of what I imagine would have been an easy meal?"
Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 5:51 pm

Anna’s voice is calm and conversational as she addresses Shard, with a small smile that most definitely does not reach her eyes. The effect is one most would consider to be rather frightening.

“Shall we take a field trip to my closet Mr. Gallows. I believe within is an extensive collection of shoes. Many, which possess heels. Quite a few times they have been worn while walking home after visiting with friends or neighboring businesses late into the evening.”

She pauses for a very brief moment. “Am I to understand that men are so overcome by lust that they are no longer responsible for uninvited actions because what is on a woman’s feet is now controlling their cocks?”
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 5:52 pm

“You killed one of those men?” Hetty very loudly exclaims, her eyes wide with surprise. Realizing everyone in the room probably just heard her she looks round and is a bit dumbfounded that those currently present don’t seem very perturbed by her outburst. The final bit of Miss. Barton’s speech brings her attention back and Hetty blushes- but doesn’t disagree.

Interested in Shard’s response, but also terrified that the wrong response may involve bits of him becoming detached prompt Hetty to clear her throat. “What creature?”
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 6:12 pm

Turning to address Anna, Shard concedes, "These were the kind of shoes often worn by particular women of the night." He explains, "And I'm not a native of your culture, I've adopted it, personally I prefer being barefoot and closer to the earth, nothing beats the feel of grass between one's toes Mrs. Barton, there's a oneness one can only feel when they'll closer to the earth, it cares for us you know?"

Then his eyes widen slightly at Hetty's outburst and makes a calming motion with his hands, "I did, but I didn't mutilate the man, I'm a ranger not a monster and the killing was justified, he was going to force himself onto the young woman along with his fellow partner, they would have killed her after and tried to kill me when I tried to stop them. I gave them every opportunity to flee, opportunities which they ignored."

Then with a sigh, he grabs his collar and stretches his neck away from his left shoulder as he pulls at his collar showing her the wound. Then looking to Anna, "You care to explain, you seem to have a better idea of what we were dealing with then I."
Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Anna eyes Shard another for another moment longer before turning her gaze to his shoulder and then to Hetty, dropping the issue on 'cultural differences'.

"There is something very unfriendly that happened to visit the back yard last night. To the best of our knowledge it has been successfully killed via impalement on a new tree. It very possibly is what ate those two men after Shard left them in a state befitting their ignorance. Though, without witnesses I don't know if I could say that for sure but the teeth-marks are a good indication as you can see by the lovely marks on Shard's shoulder."

Trying to think back to any stories she had heard of the inn's past she shakes her head. "I don't have any insights on this creature past what we gathered last night. Big, ugly, bites really hard, fast, doesn't like being shot in the head, can swim, hard to kill, and it currently is a tree ornament. I'll look through old journals that may be sitting around to see any further information is available."

Figuring this is a good lead-in to what she was planning on discussing with Hetty earlier she smiles. "I think attention at this time should be shifted to placing protection wards on the wall surrounding the property."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 7:22 pm

Eyeing the wound with a mix of horror and fascination she's impressed by how quickly it has healed thus far.

"I agree. The wall is more important right now. I would suggest getting the dead thing out first. I would rather other things couldn't use it as an anchor for any counter-measures in the off chance there are more than one. That and wards can't protect or warn us about anything that's already inside the safety zone so I just think it's better that it's away. Far, far away. And burned. Maybe sunk in a pool of holy water?" She attempts a smile but it ends up being more of a grimace.

Mentally she makes a note to see if hazard pay is included in her contract.
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 11:04 am

nodding he glances at Anna, "I like her, have I mentioned how much I like her?" Then looking back to Hetty, "I could't agree more, I can also try growing some carnivorous plants on top of the wall, with orders to only protect the inn, I couldn't also get a contingent of birds to act as sentries, but it may cost you a bit of dough though, a steady diet of some bread should suffice as payment. I could order them to do it, but they work best when they're being rewarded."
Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 8:11 pm

She doesn't disagree with Hetty's suggestion to remove the remains was the next item on her list. "I have implemented a new rule at this establishment. You kill it, you dispose of it." She gives Shard a sweet smile.

"The top of the wall does already have some defenses in place. However there is plenty of room at the base on either side. I am not opposed to man-eating plants."

The birds are another story. They are not a creature Anna Maria is fond of, and having them flock around her home and be responsible for feeding the pests isn't something that makes her jump for joy. And the mess they create! No, that's not going to happen. "No air rodents."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 2:06 am

Looking begrudgingly at Anna he sighs, "I'm pretty sure you killed it with your gun there, it was just a delayed death is all. But I suppose I could try to dispose of it, is there a incinerator anywhere in the city?" Then looking deep in thought he turns to Hetty. "How far away do you suppose your people are away from space travel?" Then looking at Anna at her rodent comment, "Not to worry, I don't usually enlist the aid of bats, granted they have there uses, but can often be more of a problem in populated areas."
Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 3:11 pm

“Birds in general. No birds. You would be correct regarding the bats as well.”

Thinking for a moment on their options for further destruction of the creature she can’t come up with one option being better regarding burning it to bits. “There are plenty of people with forges in the metalworking district. I’m sure one of them will let you incinerate that thing in one of their ovens or forges. A bribe will probably be helpful.”

Pulling out the ten gold she won off of Shard she hands it back to him grinning. “That should cover it.”
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 3:12 pm

Hetty raises an eyebrow at Shard’s comment. “You have not mentioned how much you like me, but I appreciate the sentiment.”

“Space travel?” A bit surprised by the question, Hetty has to think for a moment. “Honestly, I haven’t a clue. It’s not something that I have much of a personal or financial interest in so I have no real knowledge regarding our advancements there. I know there have been some organizations who have put research in on the topic.”
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Begins to deposit the money back into his inside pocket he pauses, and slowly presses the money back into Anna's hand. "Unfortunately that would no longer be necessary." Then leaning down he picks up a small mouse that had been rubbing against his boot and cradles it protectively in his hands as he leans his face in closer towards the mouses and blanches. "Are you certain?" He asks, before nodding and looking up at Hetty and Anna.

"Small problem, Mighty here...I named our new friend here mighty, just risked life and limb to warn us of something rather terrifying...." Taking a moment to swallow the lump in his throat, "It would seem we would be acting too late. The remains of said monster, has....Um...How does one say multiplied? All of his...its remains sprouted teeth, claws, legs, or in some cases wings. The creature's off springs as it were devoured every living thing in the garden, including this little fellas family. I believe we may be looking at a infestation of monsters."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 9:39 am

Going pale Hetty pulls a pin from her hair, jabbing a sharpened end into her pointer finger as she rushes to the nearest wall. With her finger she quickly draws a simple ruin on the old wood.

As it is completed, it glows for a moment in a dull white light before fading, all visible evidence of the sign no longer visible. Those who are magically capable and present within the building can sense a somewhat disorienting shift.

"That should prevent anything unpleasant from entering these walls." Worried she looks back to Anna and Shard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brand new day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand new day   Brand new day Empty

Back to top Go down

Brand new day
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shadowlands :: The Inn :: Tap Room-
Jump to: