Shadowlands
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It’s England in the early 1900s, and very pentacle of human innovation and the dawning of a new technological revolution, but with it, came something else.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Catching Breath

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Taking a glass out of a cupboard above the counter-top, Anna pauses at the sink to fill it with water. Taking a sip to calm her nerves a bit from the unsettling mental picture of the inn exploding becoming a giant fireball she rests a hip against the counter.

The window above the sink is open a crack, allowing fresh air to circulate the bright kitchen. Dried herbs hang from a rack above the island in the center of the room, filling the room with a calming scent. She supposes if the place was going to go up in flames it probably would have done so already and that girl was probably just making a sarcastic joke... she hoped.

Hatty didn't seem the type to rely on sarcasm for humor. Or really any humor when discussing work. Having chatted with the young woman throughout the week Anna had learned that while she is a sweet woman, her focus is very much on the job at and and it appears that there is very little room for joking in that area.

Figuring she has had enough of a break, Anna Maria pulls out a pitcher and begins filling it with water from the sink for those in the tap room.
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 12:03 am

Stopping int he doorway as he catches sigh of Anna Maria.
"I'm sorry for interrupting, ma'm, but I may in fact need a room...a nice one..." Then letting his eyes wonder around the kitchen mumbles, "Wow....this place hasn't changed much over the years has it..." Then leveling his eyes at the table, where he had been tended to after he and the other Inn's would be guardians battle for the sake of all life against the evil priest, Malfiest. Hating the memory and how'd he fought the first half of that war on the wrong side until Kodo managed to convince him of the truth.
Back to top Go down
https://shadowlands.forumotion.org
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 12:16 am

Glancing to Shard standing in the doorway she turns off the water and smiles warmly.

"Of course you can have a room. You're in luck- residency is a bit light at the moment."

Placing the filled pitcher on the counter beside the sink, she wipes her hands on the apron tired around her slim waist before reaching into the pocket and pulling out a set of brass keys. Thumbing through them she pulls out one with a delicate "2" engraved on the head as she crosses to room towards him, and holds it out for her new guest.

"Currently room number 2 is available. It is on the right front of the building. We have a few facing the yard with additional entrances on the porch available if you'd prefer- though unlike 2, they do not have private baths. Oh, and please forgive my poor manners, I don't believe I've introduced myself. I'm Anna Maria Barton, the owner of the White Wolf Inn."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 2:09 am

Shard humbly accepts the key, "Thank you, I may be staying awhile, but feel free to charge me double for my room, the company with is responsible for most of the fees during my stay." But then he pales at the mention of her name.

"My apologies but did you say Barton? As in Elizabeth Barton? The original proprietor of the Inn? Well after she inherited from her grandfather that is."
Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 4:04 pm

Anna folds her arms behind her back and truly looks at Shard for the first time. Not as a busy innkeeper rushing about to meet her patrons needs, but with the blunt gaze that would make a person feel as though they are being sized up and judged. She notes his elvish-like features and the scars etched across Shard's face.

People who have put too much thought into the inn's history have a tendency of bringing trouble or awakening old demons that are best left forgotten.

"She's somewhere back in the depths of my family tree. Your basic knowledge of the history of this establishment is more advanced than prior residents I have lodged." Her words and smile are lighthearted, though the expression falls short with her eyes.
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Shard bows, "It's a great honor to meet you, and I have something for you from a friend," He says, reaching into one of his many pouches producing a cloth bag filled with Aztec gold which he hands her, "There is a man who asked me to give this to you, along with this letter." He Explains a neatly folded letter from his inside pocket which he hands her."

The letter reads.

" Dear Barton

The man who gave this to you is a fool, though admittedly he’s quite strong and thinks himself clever.  I almost suspect he may actually believe he’s funny.

But you don’t know me, but I know of your ancestor Elizabeth. Before meeting her I was a slayer of men and I always meant to write this to her. But never found it in me to put words to paper. She was one of three individuals who knew of my story. I originally came to the inn to kill her protector. A man by the name of Shadow, words of his exploits had reached even me in the Orient. Though by the time I’ve arrived he was recovering from extensive injuries that he received from protecting the Inn.

When Shadow left, he asked me to become the Inns new protector. By after a decade, I began chasing for Abhacht, A woman whom I loved dearly who had disappeared eleven years prior. I had begun hearing stories of her whereabouts but every lead I chased was simply another dead end. Eventually I found I couldn’t stay any longer, so I made sure the Inn had proper protection before I finally left for good. I’m sorry I had to leave and I’m sorry I can’t return. I have other more pressing business I must see through. But I need you to know and understand, dark things are indeed coming this way. But you must Honor the memory of your ancestor, she was a kind, strong woman. She feared nothing, she took risks, took in those who had threatened the Inn, her friends, and her. She showed mercy where other wouldn’t, and she knew when to stand her ground and attack. In truth, she was the one who saved us all during all battle with a man, called Malfiest, a battle that cost the lives of several of our friends and allies. The Solider, Kraven Darkcloud, the knight, Blade Ulrick, The Vampire queen  Asura  De’winters, the Spiritualist cunt who tried to kill me Allyster Cain, The Pirate Mad Jack, along with half his crew. So many of us died that night,  until Elizabeth Barton your ancestor came to our aid in our most desperate hour, when we believed all was lost. Even I, one of the strongest among us believed myself to be beaten, but she saved us all, with a broom no less. It was truly a sight to behold. So learn from her example, never give up and even if you are human, I’ve learned to respect the ingenuity and the spirit of your race even though my views weren’t always so. I despise your cities, and the way humans seem to be taking over the world, yet I find myself curious to see what you’ve kind accomplished now and what marvels the human race created. But I’m otherwise preoccupied with training and fighting something else darker than anything the world has ever seen.
For Elizabeth, tell her I’m sorry for leaving.

Blaze"

Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 5:21 pm

Holding the gold and letter in her left hand she raises an eyebrow. The events mentioned were nothing new. Generations of the Barton family have listened to these stories and she was no exception. However the sentiment was appreciated even if it was a kind of buffer for the warning of danger to come.

"Did you read it?" With her own assessment of the man standing in front of her still being formed, Anna Maria finds the opening of Blaze's letter more entertaining than anything.

She places the items in her pocket for further review later. Hearing of beings able to live hundreds of years is one thing. Getting word from one with such ties to her family is an entirely different matter.
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 6:08 pm

"Don't be daft," Shard answers, "The man's a telepath, who can shoot lightning from his hands and is fast enough to run across oceans. His instructions were for me to deliver it to a Barton and only a Baton and since elected to not kill me, I took his instructions to heart. But I thank you for the room and I owe your family a debt, so feel free to call upon me, I will be at your service." He says, making a fist and pounding it into his chest before giving her a bow.

Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Anna laughs. It's a bright sound that fills the room, free of any ire.

"Well he may have power coming out of his ass but I'm guessing Blaze isn't the best judge of character." A bit more dryly, but her smile taking out any sting she continues. "You're smarter than he gives you credit for. I suppose you'll be keeping things lively during your stay here."

She leaves the boning knife that was held in her right hand on the island and returns to the counter where she left the pitcher of water. Picking it up along with a few glasses, Anna heads back towards the tap room.

"Be a dear and grab the door for me please."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Shard Shrugs expectantly, "I figured he hadn't had a high opinion of me. But he didn't seem like the most sociable of people who I've met, but I would love to see him try and escape limbo. But I thank you for kindness, he says, Stepping back and opening the door for to pass through.

"Let's just hope I find whatever brought me here before anyone gets hurt." He comments.
Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

Anna Maria

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 7:18 pm

Pausing in the doorway Anna looks back towards Shard, meeting his eyes, not sure as to what he's talking about but disliking the possible collateral. "Whoever is planning on doing any hurting should be more worried by what I'll do them."

With that, she leaves the room.
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 11:42 pm

"I like you Miss Barton, don't ever change," Shard comments following her back out into the tap room.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Catching Breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Breath   Catching Breath Empty

Back to top Go down

Catching Breath
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shadowlands :: The Inn :: Kitchen-
Jump to: