Shadowlands
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It’s England in the early 1900s, and very pentacle of human innovation and the dawning of a new technological revolution, but with it, came something else.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

By the pond

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: By the pond   By the pond EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 12:06 pm

The large backyard of the inn is a park-like setting. Close to the buildings and cobblestone walkway the grass is well maintained lawn. Beyond this is a small natural pond (8 feet at its deepest) stocked with several varieties of fish for those patrons who enjoy the relaxing (though in Hetty's opinion boring) pasttime of fishing.

Trees fill the back half of the area providing shade and a forested feel- and well they are plentiful it's not particularly dense. several fruit and nut trees are interspersed with the stately oaks, pines and other trees. Those that are closest to the wall on both sides have their branches trimmed to deter unwanted visitors.

Behind the kitchen is a large garden filled with plants useful for cooking or use in more medicinal ventures. A small greenhouse sits in the center for the plants requiring additional protection and care.

The entire area is surrounded by a tall privacy wall topped with decorative (and very painful looking) wrought iron. The top of the wall itself also has shards of broken glass embedded in it (which would only be visible after it's too late for anyone idiotic enough to attempt scaling it).

In the evening small globes of light decorate those areas closest to the buildings providing light for any choosing to enjoy the fresh air.

Hetty strolls at a leasurely pace, the fine fabric of her long skit whispering easily autible away from the buzz of the tap room. She guides Shard to a grassy area near the pond and away from the windows, decorative lights, and any prying eyes.

"I don't believe we will be bothered here."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:05 am

"This place is beautiful," Shard admits breathlessly as he steps slightly past her letting his eyes slowly roll throughout the garden, taking in the area, "I don't believe this was here the last time I past by, this is remarkable work indeed."

Then kneeling down he runs his fingers across and through the grass. "Great soil as well, but perhaps the lady may need a seat?" He says placing his hand to the ground and summoning a large flower from the earth, which quickly takes the form of an elegant chair, with the petals forming soft cushions.

"The closer I am to the earth, or plant life the stronger my power. same with animals, but I can't exactly reshape them, I can speak to them and command most...Except for werewolves....really doesn't work on werewolves....Which leads me to believe I have no control over other supernatural animals of any sort. But I could tell you what the mice are thinking, I can tell you that some of the inn's plants love the sound of your voice. And Mrs. Barton's singing."
Back to top Go down
https://shadowlands.forumotion.org
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:46 am

Hetty's eyes glitter as she watches the flower chair form. "How marvelous!" Glancing at Shard with a smile she smooths her skirt as she gently sits, finding the unique piece of furniture surprisingly comfortable.

"I guessed that this area had to be on the newer end of things. The inn is swimming with protection spells and wards. Out here... Nothing. Not even on the wall. I had considered starting my work out here but figured it would be more wise to fortify what is already in existence. Though once the more standard bits are back to their full strength I'll refocus my energies. Whoever did the work originally was a bit obsessed with hiding the inn from demons and the like." At the mention of demons she chuckles. Even the Vatican considers those creatures tucked far away, assuming they even exist.

At the mention of werewolves, Hetty's eyebrows raise. Like the demons, those creatures supposedly disappeared as well long ago, along with vampires, unicorns and really any other creature with magical roots. Though considering magic isn't dead-she's proof enough of that, it is possible that what disappeared long ago could be slowly reappearing. The thought is an unsettling one. She misses the complement in her pondering, slim fingers stroking the arm of the flowerchair absentmindedly as she thinks.
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 am

"That's very wise," He says at the mention of hiding the inn from would be dangers. "Whoever made the enchantments must have known that most of what we call the supernatural never really went away, just disappeared into the back of human consciousness, as they rationalized that vampires and werewolves was really nothing more than mental illness mingled with human superstition. But those that could blend in with humanity seemed somehow took everything else. Leaving me to wonder if the veil was created by the creator, or something darker to allow such creatures to accumulate power and regrow their numbers."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:14 pm

"Well whoever it was that created that particular batch of wards is long gone. The signature is not one I recognize from my experience or studies... Which is unusual in itself. With so few of us, learning the marks of the magicians practiced in this branch for the past few hundred years requires no effort. The wards that have lasted the longest all originated with the same 3 practitioners... "

With the fingers of her right hand she sketches three rough images in the air, a warm white light trailing her movement forming the signatures of the 3 long-dead magicians. All had initials with unique designs entwining the letters.

"None of whom have left their marks here. I suppose the "who" is unimportant. Though once you figure out ones style and preferences their work is easier to renew or remove without triggering something nasty." Hetty lets the light fade.

"My knowledge of this veil is limited. Without knowing who created it, it's pointless to try answering what the motive would be."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Shard nods,holding a hand out over a small area of the ground, causing to tremble and quake as the earth and rock push up through earth forming a perfect model of the inn, and the city.
"But in all the world, magic seems at it's strongest here," He says pointing to the inn. And even my knowledge of the veil is limited, all I know for certain is that most people believe elves, dwarves and nearly every mystical creature or being have never existed."

Then pulling a glove from his right hand he shows her an unknown rune etched into the palm of his hand.

"And this mark, I no not it's origins, just that it brought be out of the fade when I traveled to another world and perished in a Mage rebellion....I kinda just hopped into the middle of fray and before I could discern what was happening there was an explosion. But this mark brought me from back from the after life and often glows green whenever there's a rift, or a portal to another world. I have since learned to use it travel between other worlds."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Taking his hand in hers Hetty examines the strange ruin, creating a small ball of light to see it better.

"I've never seen its like. But then I have never met someone who has passed between worlds. Or heard legitimate tales of such adventures either for that matter."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 2:54 pm

"By all means, let me demonstrate by showing you a window." He says, gently pulling his hand from hers and pointing his hand at a point a few feet up in the air above him, activating the rune, which engulfs his hand in a green baleful light. A heartbeat later the light shoots from his hand in a stream of crackling energy, hitting a small point in the air before them, which then opens a small window like portal surrounded in the same crackling green energy.

The window reveals an aerial view of mountains, and forests for as far as the eye can see, along with an enormous castle, in the distance a dragon flies over head.

"You can see into it, and it's safe, nothing there can see or sense us, such is my understanding of this new found talent."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Leaning forward for a better look she can't help but be amazed, taking in the incredible view.

"Do you control where it goes or the destination random? How many worlds does it go between... Or is it infantile? Surely if it's an infinite number there are worlds which you can open a door to that may not be inhabitable by our fragile systems. If the air lacks the correct balance of oxygen for example stepping through could be rather deadly. "Realizing in her excitement Hetty is babbling and giving no room for Shard to process, much less answer her questions, she pauses blushing.

"I'm sorry, my words seem to have gotten away from me."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Shard smiles at the barrage of questions, "In this world Magic has evolved and rules over science and engineering, the opposite of this world now. But I can only choose the worlds I've been through at will, any new rifts I open without concentration leads me a random world. As for the number, I believe it to be infinite and there is a time distortion. I was in this world," He says nodding to the window, "For over 93 years, but when I returned I discovered I was only gone for a little over an hour. But yes your concerns are valid, if I open a random rift it can pull me, or whatever's nearest through. Makes a good weapon if things ever become desperate. But your questions are fine, i too was curious about the mark and the power it bestowed upon me. In this here other world, I was lead to believe I was the chosen by the maker herself."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 7:43 pm

"I wouldn't suggest utilizing it as a weapon unless no other option is available. One must concider the effects that would have on those in the other realm." The thought of thrusting a dangerous individual elsewhere for others to deal with or be destroyed by leaves a sour taste in her mouth.

"I wonder if others possess this ability. And is it possible to aperate within the inn? In theory the wards protect against that type of thing. It would be interesting to test... When Miss. Barton is not around. I don't think she'd like the idea."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 11:35 pm

"I agree, but of course my superiors can only think of ways to weaponize this ability they've never seen before. So I've convinced them of a half truth." Then turning he points his hand at the window, as the light shoots from his hand until the window collapses and disappears. Then stepping closer to her,"I pray, I'm as good judge of character as I trust, but this is what I believe gave me this power." He says, pulling a small pocket mirror from his breast pocket, which he presses into her hand, letting it linger.

"Careful, the first time I used this mirror it pulled me into Limbo, it trapped me of over a lifetime, where I was hunted almost constantly, fighting for my life ever day. For I was able to discern that if one dies in limbo, they become forever trapped...It's....complicated but no even death can release one from that place, just makes it more...permanent."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 11:48 pm

Startled that a near stranger has placed such a strong object of power in her possession her face pales. Hetty glances down at the smooth surface of the mirror before holding it out to Shard to take

"I appreciate your trust in me, but I think in this instance I'd rather stick to my books. You are wise to keep knowledge of such an object limited."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 12:27 am

"Please don't ask me to take it back, it is far safer in your possession than mine. The watchers wish to exploit it, and I am now their agent. You're fear and distrust of the mirror tells me you are worthy of it, and will keep it safe. And I believe it'll protect you as well. I found it before the the destruction of my home." He says, stepping away from her and creating a stone chair of himself which he sits.

"I was infiltrating a flying....city, I have no knowledge of the power, or the magic used. But I do know the sorcerer was incredibly powerful. When I finally managed to kill him, I discovered the magical artifacts that powered the city, artifacts I had no choice but to destroy, causing the city to fall from the sky and break apart. I fully expected to perish, a death I would have welcomed if meant saving my people. But the mirror fell from my pocket and flipped open, saving me from being crushed, or dying in the crash."

He shrugs, "In case you're wondering I stumbled upon the mirror during my infiltration, I discovered my chance that it had the power to reveal secrets, hidden runes, passages...people. I didn't realize the full power until pulled me into another world, where it shattered. Took me several years to collect the pieces and fit them back into the mirror with the help of another magical creature named Deekin, but long story short, once I collected the pieces, the mirror mended itself and allowed me to pass back through, where once again it shattered. But every time the pieces are gathered and placed together it mends itself. I don't believe I should possess all that power, nor should any group. I believe in my organization, but I'm not always their methods and I simply can't keep it with, or near me....not anymore, for me this has been burden, but for you it may aid you in your research. I'm unsure of any other magical traits it may possess, but I do know it can reflect minor offensive base spells."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 12:41 am

Getting the impression that no matter what she says the mirror is going to stay in her possession Hetty shakes her head and tucks it into a hidden pocket in the folds of her skirt.

"If you want this to remain in my possession you need to show me how to use it. I would rather not be holding onto something I am not comfortable using. I'm sure you understand? But not tonight- my mental capacity for that type of information is fairly exhausted."

"What is this watchers guild you speak of?"
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 12:06 pm

Leaning back in his chair he smiles, "Using it is easy, you can just point it at stuff, or place it in the path of an incoming magic missile, just whatever you do, don't get drunk and dance around as you stare at yourself at the lovely reflection, resulting in stumbling and an accidental dropping of said mirror...."

"Ah, I forget my guild is a secretive one, they don't like many knowing of their existence, which is why they don't typically allow me to play among the general populace. But they are the watchers and the keepers of this here planet. They are responsible for almost everything that happens, through subtle intervention, a push here, a tug there. They're mission is to protect the people, but their methods....I've seen them let thousands die in order to save millions, I've witnessed them start ward between countries, or even dividing a country like with what happened with the yanks. They claim it's all for the greater good, I often say, Lets save who we can, and drink, knowing we did all we could. I'm morally opposed to any loss of innocents. Even as a pirate, I typically only raided other pirates and warlords. Those who had it coming as it were."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Hetty sits in silence, turning the information over in her mind. The existence of such an organization comes at no surprise to her being of noble birth and having been surrounded by the politically powerful for her entire life. Though the name is new to her, the concept is not.

Being the youngest of her family and not in a position to inherit anything of real substance, Hetty had been able to pursue her own interests within reason and has avoided being dragged into endless intrigue. Her ear to this point has not been worth whispering plots, plans or suggestions into for they would have fizzled out quickly.

"As distasteful as it is- leadership is a numbers game. Not to imply any should ever die needlessly or for the whim of an unknown puppeteer of course. But if you were only able to save a drowning man or a group of children slipping under the ice which would you choose? Then consider if that man was the sole possessor of the cure for cancer. It is a difficult and thankless situation but someone has to make the decision. My only hope is that those carrying the burden of such power understand and respect the responsibility that come with it."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 1:09 am

Shard cocks an eyebrow at the comment. "In the world I showed you I became a leader. I know the weight of difficult decisions, of trying to choose sides in the war, the Mages who longed for freedom, the Templars who wanted to bring them to heel. If I should risk sacrificing a friend's valuable squat in favor of wining the support of a very powerful nation....Every choice I made was carefully weighed and considered, and I managed to snatch victory from arms of defeat."

Shaking his head, "I'm going to need a few drinks after this meeting, but every life should be considered. I believe no destiny or prediction for the future is ever set in stone, because we all have free will. We have freedom of choice, one of the psychics, or fortune tellers could tell me in a hundred years I'd save the world. But I could always choose not too, I could choose to enter a fight I knew I couldn't win and perish or simply end myself. But that would be most unfortunate, for it would rob the world of my rapier wit. But I know the Watchers and they would sacrifice other world's to save or better protect this one, but who can say which world deserves to live or die? Plus, "He says with a shrug, "I have a healthy distrust of any general or leader who has never fought on the field, held the dying in their arms and realized the true cost of sacrifice and and cost. I fought in battles and wars, I've heard what others wanted and asked of me, but if I don't like option A, or B, I choose my own. And that's how I saved the world you've seen, brought it back from the brink and they had prophets too, prophets who believed I would have made the rifts worse, and I would destroy their world. Many wanted me dead, several tried to kill me, but I kept saving people and after awhile they had no other choice but to see what I could accomplish."
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Leaning back she gives Shard a soft smile. "Well put sir."

Stifling a yawn, Hetty pushes herself to her feet, smoothing out the long folds of her emerald skirt. "You should have your drinks, I believe it is time for me to retire for the evening. I do look forward to continuing this discussion at a later date."
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 7:22 pm

"thank you, it has been a pleasure, although I haven't forgotten that you still haven't shown me your magical talents, so I do believe you'd be owing me a demonstration." He says with a smile, before giving her a bow. "I believe I shall walk this garden a bit and and think of old friends and..." He trails off, "those who I've left behind..." With that he turns and walks over to the pond, reopening the window rift of the world he had shown her before, but now the view showed a small graveyard beside a castle built into the mountains.
Back to top Go down
Hetty

Hetty

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 7:36 pm

Wishing him a pleasant evening as he wanders away, Hetty strolls back to the inn. Not wanting to assault her ears with the general clammor of the tap-room, she sneaks back in through the kitchen and takes the servants stairs to the second floor and her room.
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 9:03 pm

With a subtle shift of his hand, the rift scene changes, and he sees himself leading his beloved, along with his closest allies into battle against an arch dragon. A secret he kept himself, and he knows he could always venture back into the paralleled world with barely any time passing since he left. But with most of his friends succumbing to old age, he sighs knowing the point would be for nought. Then with another gesture he closes the rift window.
Back to top Go down
The Creature

The Creature

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 12:25 am

spotting the strange man from earlier from up high, the creature bares it's fangs and drops down from the sky, landing with a soft thud behind Shard as it slowly rises to it's feet.
Back to top Go down
Shard Gallows
Admin
Shard Gallows

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Shard turns at the sound of the soft thud behind him and stares quizzically at the creature. "How queer," he says leaning forward staring at the beast, "You must be one of the wards, or...possibly a golem of sort...that minx never told me she was able to create such a beast."
Back to top Go down
The Creature

The Creature

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 8:43 pm

The creature hisses, showing Shard it's rows of razor sharp teeth before lunging at him with a swipe of it's claws.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

By the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: By the pond   By the pond Empty

Back to top Go down

By the pond
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shadowlands :: The Inn :: The Inn's Yard-
Jump to: