It’s England in the early 1900s, and very pentacle of human innovation and the dawning of a new technological revolution, but with it, came something else.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Typical Evening

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
StoryTeller

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:07 pm

Allyister leans back in his chair, and glances over at Shard, "So what can you tell me about the mirror I heard you've discovered in some far off land?" He says, taking a moment to smile broadly at Hetty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shard Gallows
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:18 pm

Feeling his head beginning to swim and feeling slightly odd, as he nods towards the Harpist, before turning his attention back to Allyister, "What are you on about, I'm not some trollop, or fancy Dan who needs to see my reflection every five minutes, and a brush has never once found it's way to my hair."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shadowlands.forumotion.org
Hetty

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Looking from Cole to Shard, she’s confused. The music seems pleasant enough. Allyister’s smile makes her wary, like he is trying to share a joke with her and she is missing the punch-line. Putting a little more attention to the music she feels a fuzziness outside of the mental barriers she so carefully keeps in place though habit. If there is one thing she hates it is people trying to alter others’ brains.

Unsure if he knows she is protected agains such violations, Hetty errs on the side of caution and matches the despicable man’s smile. She would really like to place a barrier around her companions as well but to do so would draw more attention to her abilities than she would like. That and she has worked large magics today. Even with the rest, her reserves are limited. She’d rather use her abilities only if necessary.

Remembering a tidbit she heard during her schooling, Hetty crosses her fingers hoping what she is about to do works. “I just adore this song! Don’t you all?” Hetty begins singing along to the music, loudly and very much off-key.

In theory, the discord should make resisting the suggestive magic entwined with the music easier. It’s not full-proof but it is better than nothing. Or it will at least irritate the musician enough where they may loose some focus. Hetty is fine with either at this point. Such underhanded techniques are not honorable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoryTeller

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Eden RoseAs she plays, more and more people fill the tap room till capacity, as the patrons insist on paying three times the cost for the food and drinks.

Allyister Rolls his eyes at Shard, he should have known the Atlantian would have been resistant, but he glances quizzically at Hetty and winces at her singing. He then glances to the Harpist, giving her a small nod.

Eden Rose Smiles as she finishes the song, "Now it's time for one of my favorites, "Find me, still searching, for someone to lead me, can you guide me, to the revolt inside me, promise of surviving the breech. Promise of surviving the breech, in the sky, temper igniting, the fire inside me, maker remind me, of days of our peace." She sings, interweaving the her spells and charms through every word, and pluck of the string. Weaving all the charms and spells onto Allyister, making him almost impossible to to resist.

Allyister Stands and glances over at Cole, "Make him tell you about the mirror, I have to find the innkeeper and and inquire once more about procuring the deed to the Inn."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anna Maria

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:03 pm

As Anna chats with a small group of people at the bar she hears a sound that can only be compared to as a cat in distress. Realizing the dreadful noise is coming from Hetty, she shakes her head.

The moment allows a snippet of something someone wrote her to come to mind regarding Eden Rose's more lucrative side profession. A rumor really, but one from a reliable source that doesn't normally pay idle gossip much thought.

Before Anna can give it more serious thought she is interrupted by more customers practically throwing their money at her. The distraction causes her to loose hold of the memory as the suggestive sounds of the music permeate the air. Anna happily takes money and pours drinks from behind the bar as she laughs along with her customers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cole Ambrose

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Cole winces at the sound of Hetty singing, and turns to her, "There's a cat dying in your voice?" He says both apologetically and as a question. Before hearing the Harpist change her song, followed by Allyister's commands which to his surprise almost sounds like an acceptable thing to do. So he stands up feeling his intentions and begins grasping at the sides of his head, "It sings... sick music. Don't listen, burrows into brain, trying to make me go insane!" He says clenching his teeth together and looking almost feral at Shard as tremors course through his body as he struggles to regain control of both his body and mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shard Gallows
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:40 pm

Shard eyes Allyister suspiciously after his comment, and upon hearing Cole's words and seeing him rise to his feet, Shard shoves the cork back into the bottle and hands it to Hetty while watching Cole, "I hate to trouble you so, but would you mind holding onto this for me, I have a feeling the contents may not be safe in my hands."

Then to Cole he says, "Are you feeling alright Cole?" Not sure if he should go on the defense or not.
Back to top Go down
Hetty

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:31 pm

“Oh not good not good...” Glad Allyister’s attention has turned elsewhere she holds onto the bottle Shard handed her, looking at it quizzically. “Really?” she says dryly.

Grabbing Cole‘s arm in a firm grip Hetty closes her eyes and breaths deeply to help focus her energies. Deciding not to wait for Cole to answer the question she places a protection barrier around the man’s mind. She would do the same with Shard but he appears to already have some form or natural or magical resistance in place.

Due to the haste, the barrier she creates is not something that would protect someone who didn’t already have a strong mental defense against such persuasion. As Cole has managed to have resisted the musical influence to this point she is fairly sure he should be able to keep his wits about him. Hopefully. Barriers around the mind can be dangerous if done incorrectly for obvious reasons so Hetty is keeping her magic as light as possible to help reduce any risk or chance of accidental permanent damage greatly.

If Allyister has not already surmised that she is magically capable, he will be more than aware if he chooses to look for such evidence of such defenses on Cole at this point in time. Magic done quickly is rarely subtle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cole Ambrose

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Cole calms down, relaxing a bit, as he takes a breath and lifts his eyes to meet with Shard's, "I appear to be fine now, the words are no longer speaking and seducing." He glances over to Hetty. "This music is bad, I should stop her." He says turning to the Harpist as he flexes his hands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoryTeller

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:46 pm

Allyister Weaving his way through the crowds, finding Anna, he lightly taps her on the shoulder. "Ms. Barton, I take it that you are pleased with this evening's entertainment?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shard Gallows
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:47 pm

Shard eyes both Hetty and Cole suspiciously, "So anyone care to fill me in on what's going on here? and why I feel just slightly not so interested in giving Asster a good beating?"
Back to top Go down
Anna Maria

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:01 am

Turning, she smiles brightly at Allyister. "I can't complain. The inn hasn't had an evening this good in years!"

Anna's not sure if it's the music, the money, or the fact that she's been spending the evening shamelessly flirting with customers for extra tips, but she has to admit she never noticed how handsome Mr. Cain is. Granted he does fall into her 'tall, dark and handsome' preferences.

Somewhere in the back of her mind Anna knows she should be distancing herself from him, or better yet clawing out his eyes, but the thought is quickly erased.

"Thank you for the entertainment Allyister."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hetty

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:07 am

"You're right Cole. Stopping the music would be an excellent idea. Without having her turn the whole room against us. I would really prefer not to harm the innocent."

Looking with concern at Shard she places a and on his arm; constructing a weak barrier around his mind as well.

"So what's our plan? Assuming there is one?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shard Gallows
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:48 am

Shard nods "She's right Cole, if she is really causing all of this," He says looking around the Inn, "If she's controlling or manipulating the people here, she can just as easily turn all these people against us, and with this many people, I don't know how we wouldn't be able to not kill some of them...I think we need to wait and see how this plays out..." he pauses, and looks around, "Where's Allyister?"
Back to top Go down
StoryTeller

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Allyister Smiles at her, gently brushing a stray strand of hair from her face, and letting the tips of his fingers lightly brush against her elbow. "It was all worth it, just to see that smile of yours, and the Inn finally having the fame and notoriety it deserves."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anna Maria

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:42 pm

“Oh? You don’t approve of the longstanding notion that anyone who stays here for more than a drink is dancing with death?” Anna’s sarcastic comment is made with a raised eyebrow and followed with a slightly husky laugh.

“You’re buttering me up Mr. Cain.” Though she can’t say she’s not enjoying it.

”I can only assume it is regarding the business you mentioned earlier.” She moves closer to him, adjusting the collar of his shirt. “What is it that you’d like to discuss?”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoryTeller

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:29 pm

Allyister Laughs, pleasantly, as he stares deeply into Anna's eyes. and shrugs, "Touche, I believe some actually seek that very dance, just to see if they can survive and escape it with their lives, giving them stories to tell and pass down from generation, to generation." He says, speaking honestly, he had to admit despite his ancient history of the Inn and half demon who once humiliated him, he was still called upon to help protect the Inn, which wasn't all bad in his opinion.

"Yes, but I would like to change my proposal, I would insist we become co-owners, and I'll be more or less a silent partner in matters concerning the Inn. I can bring entertainment, " He says, gesturing to Eden Rose still playing, "And I can bring a certain level of protection, not just from monsters, but from the rich and greedy who hope to take over this establishment, and tear it down in favor of something more modern." He says with a genuine level of disgust in his voice regarding the idea. Which was the truth, he had no plans in destruction of the Inn, but sought for preservation of it. If it his plans were to come to fruition he would need it, but that future was still far off, he would still have to deal with a few would be heroes and discover how to tear down the veil that separated this world, from the other and to bring back the nightmares humanity has forgotten.

It was in this he saw a world where a good pair of leathers would be all anyone would need to last them to the end of their days, where forests of green and vines retake the cities, a world where humanity lives in fear, with no other choice but to come to him for security and protection.

Eden rose Smiles more as she plays the strings, periodically glancing up at from the harp to watch Allyister for any cues to change her increasingly powerful enchantments she weaves through the air, singing,

"Enchanters!
The time has come to be alive
With the Circle of Magi, where we will thrive
With our brothers.

Enchanters remind
That time will not unwind.
The dragon’s crooked spine,
Will never straighten into line.

Our plea will be
A faithful end decree,
Where a man will not retreat
From the defeat of his fathers.

Enchanters!
A time has come for battle lines.
We will cut these knotted ties,
And some may live and some may die.

Enchanter, Come To Me
Enchanter, Come To Me
Enchanter, Come To See
Can-a you, can-a you come to see,
As you once were blind
In the light now you can sing?
In our strength we can rely,
And history will not repeat."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anna Maria

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:06 pm

It is a tempting proposal. Very tempting. Extra money and protection is always something the inn can benefit from. Anna pulls her fingers from adjusting his collar, plucking two glasses of wine from a passing tray and handing one to Allyister, taking a sip from the glass remaining in her hand.

"The deed of ownership on this establishment is very clear and very binding; both in a legal and a magical sense. Only family may hold ownership to the inn. If the Barton line dies out," which considering she is the last of it at this point, it is a highly possible scenario, "then it goes to the next family on the list and so-on. Whoever crafted the original deed was probably very afraid that one of their decedents would loose ownership of it in a silly gamble or something of the like." Or an added measure of defense for instances such as this.

She runs the fingers of her free hand along her temple, her brain feeling fuzzy. It is too late in the evening to be recalling words on archaic paperwork.

"A beneficiary you could be. A co-owner... no." There is genuine regret in Anna Maria's voice and she meets his eyes. "Becoming a silent partner of the business aspects is a very real possibility. Of the land and buildings upon it you can have no claim of ownership."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoryTeller

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Allyister graciously accepts the glass of wine, taking a long sip from the glass. Allyister knew the deed's wording very well and had systematically made sure every member of those other lines met with rather unfortunate accidents. A risky gambit being as both Famine and Death had their sights set on the Inn as well. But he was more familiar with the Inn, having witnessed its power for himself.

"Surely some sort of compromise, or relationship can blossom to better secure the Inn's future." He says setting his glass down on the tray of a serving girl, and smoothly grabs two filled glasses which he now offers one to Anna.

"So I'll be most please with a beneficiary position for the time being, until we can work out something more suitable for both our needs and goals."

He knows he could easily have her killed at this point and procure the Inn through those means, but he found himself reluctant to take the woman's life, unsure if was because of respect or sentimentally, if the latter he would be most curious to explore and may actually entertain the prospect of courting and eventual marriage. It had been awhile since he last cared for anyone, but he believed he could possibly make it work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anna Maria

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:31 pm

Realizing with surprise that the glass she is holding is now empty, she happily trades out the empty glass for the one offered to her by Allyister. Drinking on the job is not her habit but this feels like it should be special occasion.

“Entertainment and security in exchange for a piece of the profits?" Anna ponders on his proposal for a moment, running her finger along the rim of her glass.

"It is not a terrible deal. I of course would like to review your formal proposal and see if any negotiations are necessary to work out regarding our working relationship.” Anna gently clinks her glass against his before taking a sip, not breaking eye contact.

"Do tell me, Mr. Cain, what are your needs and goals? I am sure mine are fairly clear.“
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hetty

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:33 pm

“He went looking for Ms. Barton. He mentioned being interested in purchasing the inn. I doubt he will be terribly successful though. She seems very invested in its future.”

Having not been affected by the music herself, Hetty isn’t sure how it effects those touched by it other than that it alters how people would typically react to a snarky aristocratic ass.

If one of you were to sneak up behind the harpist and knock her out I think that would be an effective solution. I can put an illusion around you to make it look as though nobody is there. If someone bumps into you they will feel that, but they won’t see you. Which one of you would care to volunteer?”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cole Ambrose

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:32 pm

"I shall do so, Mr. Shard is held under much scrutiny, and I will burn her harps strings so that it'll never again sing and penetrate thoughts unseen" Cole volunteers, stepping forward through the growing thrall of people, as if it were some crazy shopping holiday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hetty

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:26 pm

As Cole walks away Hetty snaps the illusion in place, making him invisible in the crowd. This is one instance where the crowd is beneficial to them, creating enough confusion where the musician's attention will be spread thin.

"I hope the harp sting burning works. Normally I wouldn't wish death on anyone but using this type of control over others is horrid."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoryTeller

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:04 am

He pauses, weighting her question and decides to give her at least part of the truth.

"To protect the inn, ensuring his future but most importantly to protect you." He says, thinking of the entity known as death and knowing if he failed here, it would only be a matter of time before he would make his move, a move that if successful would be far more bloodier and with more collateral damage then Allyister would care to see come to pass. Admittedly only War agreed with his views, while Famine and death would rather destroy the world in attempt to remake it the way they see fit. Granted the Four had agreed to help one another and stay out of each other's way, an uneasy alliance that will go for only as long as the other's allowed it. In theory once of them started the world down a path of no return, the others would fight to keep that one from winning. Although Allyister's goals didn't threaten any of the other three, but he would sooner or later have to defend and fight to keep his vision of the future alive.

Reaching into his coat pocket he pulls out the documents neatly bound in soft leather which he hands to her, letting his hands then clasp softly around hers. "the papers to read at your leisure, but for tomorrow I would also love to take tomorrow to to take you out on a formal date as it were, no talk of business, and sadly no musicians."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anna Maria

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:41 pm

His goal of protecting her was not something Anna was expecting to hear. She is not one to rely on others for fighting her battles, though she’s not so stubborn to refuse reasonable help if offered. And it would be nice to have someone else looking out for her best interests for once. Raising an eyebrow, she gives him a wry smile. “That is a full-time job.”

Looking down at the paperwork now enclosed in her hands, Anna Maria laughs. “I like a man who comes prepared. This will be very interesting reading I think.” Hopefully, it’s contents are not farfetched. She has a feeling she’d sign the document no matter how outlandish or skewed the contract is.

Anna knows in her head that signing without reading it would be a horrible idea. Wasn’t it only that morning that she wanted to drive a knife through his heart? For the life of her, Anna can’t remember why she would feel such animosity towards Allyister. He was only to protect the inn. She shouldn’t have had that second glass of wine.

His hands around hers are warm and oddly comforting in the midst of her confused thoughts. It has been some time since a man has asked her out and she has wanted to say yes.

“Mixing business and pleasure? If I didn’t know better, I’d say you are trying to take advantage of the situation.” Anna moves her attention from their hands to his face. “But I’ll bite. You intrigue me Mr. Cain. That doesn’t happen very often.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Typical Evening   

Back to top Go down

Typical Evening
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next